[osis-core] Element draft

Wed, 15 May 2002 17:57:11 -0400

--------------060305000205050806080809

Guys,

In non-schema syntax but here is my latest take on the OSIS schema. I
will try to get up very early tomorrow and flesh out a schema syntax as
outlined in this document.

It will probably not have the reference syntax or key/keyRef material
but I hope to add that on Friday after I reach Spain and so will be
sending that out Saturday morning. By Sunday, you should have the
(finally!) complete version of the 1.1 version.

Let's look at this very carefully as I would really like to do a public
release and let people start using it to encode texts while we move onto
the next modules.

Oh, any blackout dates for June for anyone? I need to talk to SIL about
a meeting of the technical group during June.

Thanks!

--------------060305000205050806080809

I left off with <div> being the last element I described in any detail. The following is a non-schema version of the proposed element list.

General Format:

<element_name>

Element_name_parent: Parent (or parents) of the element

Element_name_children: Children of the element

Attributes

Example:

div_parent: front, body, back

div_children: blockQuote, figure, lineGroup, list, milestone, p, title, verse

Attributes: globalAttributes

*********OSIS schema*********

<abbr>

abbr_parent: div, blockquote, close, foreign, head, inscription, item, label, line, mentioned, name, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

abbr_children: note

Attributes:

globalAttributes

expansion (xs:string, shows full form of the abbreviation)

<blockQuote>

blockQuote_parent: div, p

blockQuote_children: blockquote, close, foreign, head, inscription, item, label, lineGroup, mentioned, name, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

(note that this reflects an understanding of the division of elements into a phrase level (word, label, etc.) class versus another class of "chunk" level markup. Thus, a blockQuote can occur inside a <p> but not inside a <verse>

<catchWord>

catchWord_parent: note, p (but only inside of note)

catchWord_children: none PCDATA

Attributes:

globalAttributes

Used to mark text in a note that also appears in the main text as a way of indicating what is under discussion. So should be in short notes that do not use <p> and in <p> but only if used within note.

<close>

close_parent: div

close_children:  foreign, name, note, p, q, reference, seg, verse, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<date>

date_parent: blockquote, close, head, inscription, item, line, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speech, title, verse

date_children: note

Attributes:

globalAttributes, calendar (type)

<divineName>

divineName_parent: div, blockquote, close, foreign, head, inscription, item, label, line, mentioned, name, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

divineName_children: note

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<figure>

figure_parent: div, p

figure_children: caption, note

Attributes:

globalAttributes, src

<head>

head_parent: list

head_children: head, note

Attributes:

globalAttributes

Used as the heading for lists

<inscription>

inscription_parent: div, blockquote, item, line, note, p, seg, verse

inscription_children: note, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<item>

item_parent: list

item_children: note, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<label>

label_parent: list

label_children: note, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<line>

line_parent: lineGroup

line_children: abbr, date, divineName, foreign, name, note, seg, transChange, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<list>

list_parent: div, p, blockQuote

list_children: head, label, item

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<mentioned>

mentioned_parent: div, note, p

mentioned_children: abbr, date, divineName, foreign, name, note, seg, transChange, w

<milestone>

True milestone, can occur anywhere and has not start/end expect with attributes that point to each other.

<name>

name_parent: div, blockquote, close, foreign, head, inscription, item, label, line, mentioned, name, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

name_children: note

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<note>

note_parent: everybody! ;-) well, because we want to be able to attach notes everywhere in the text. Seems like the easiest solution is to allow inline notes to appear anywhere.

note_children: foreign, name, reading, reference, p, seg, transChange, word

Attributes:

globalAttributes

p_parent: blockQuote, div, note, speech

p_children: blockquote, close, foreign, inscription, mentioned, name, note, q, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

<q>

q_parent: blockQuote, close, div, note, p, q, reference, salute, seg, speech, title, verse

q_children: foreign, name, note, seg, w

<reading>

reading_parent: note

reading_children: foreign, name, seg, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<reference>

reference_parent: blockQuote, div, head, item, line, note, p, q, reference, title, verse

reference_children: foreign, name, seg, reference, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes, target

<salute>

salute_parent: blockQuote, div, p

salute_children: foreign, name, seg, reference, verse, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<signed>

signed_parent: blockQuote, div, p

signed_children: foreign, name, seg, reference, verse, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<speaker>

speaker_parent: div, p, q, verse

speaker_children: name, note, reference

Attributes:

globalAttributes, who

<speech>

speech_parent: div, p

speech_children:  blockquote, close, foreign, inscription, mentioned, name, note, q, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<title>

title_parent: div

title_children: foreign, name, note, seg, title

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<transChange>

transChange_parent: blockQuote, close, note, p, q, salute, speech, verse

transChange_children: note, reference, w

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<verse>

verse_parent: blockQuote, close, div, note, p, q, salute, signed, speech

verse_children: foreign, inscription, name, note, q, reference, speaker, speech, transChange

Attributes:

globalAttributes

<w>

w_parent: div, blockquote, close, foreign, head, inscription, item, label, line, mentioned, name, note, p, q, reading, reference, salute, seg, speaker, speech, title, transChange, verse

w_children: note

Attributes:

globalAttributes

--------------060305000205050806080809--