[osis-core] Open source XML editor....

Steven DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 7 May 2002 15:05:42 -0400

Has anybody played with jEdit? Entire editor in Java/Swing.
Apparently has plug-ins to support something like 70 syntaxes,
including XML. See review at
http://www.linuxmuse.com/articles.php?action=section&article=14&num=1
Main page for it at http://www.jedit.org/    Feature listing at
http://www.jedit.org/index.php?page=features

I wonder what it would take to build a custom mode for OSIS
(basically hack the XML mode so it also knows about milestones, and
so it provides all the right menus for tagging easily.

If we had that, plus a plug-in that could do verse-checking, and one
to pull up multiple texts in parallel windows, we'd have a pretty
good deal.

Not sure what level of formatting it does other than indentation --
but as long as it can do arbitrary fonts and a few things like color,
italics, and bold, it would probably be a pretty good place to start.

Thoughts? Anybody want to take a shot at making it work for us

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net
Email: sderose@speakeasy.net
Backup email: sderose@mac.com, sjd@stg.brown.edu