[osis-core] line, lineGroup, lineStart, & lineEnd

Sun, 05 May 2002 10:00:44 -0400

Greetings,

I am still trying to get the rest of the notes from Rome but here are
two illustrations of using fragmentation to join Ps.2.1 and Ps.2.2:

<verse id="KJV.Ps.2.1" next="KJV.Ps.2.2">Why do the nations plot, and
why do their people make useless plans?</verse>
<verse id="KJV.Ps.2.2" prev="KJV.Ps.2.1">The kings of this earth have
joined together to turn against the Lord and his chosen one.</verse>

Actually by allowing a list for the attributes (as was pointed out by
Todd some emails ago), it would be possible to enumerate any number of
next and previous values so we could represent any number of
versification traditions.

Or, we can declare a join element:

<verse id="KJV.Ps.2.1">Why do the nations plot, and why do their people
make useless plans?</verse>
<verse id="KJV.Ps.2.2">The kings of this earth have joined together to
turn against the Lord and his chosen one.</verse>

<join targets="KJV.Ps.2.1" KJV="KJV.Ps.2.2" result="verse"
id="NIV.Ps.2.1-2">

(Not certain about the syntax on the second example since you would want
to be able to easily distinguish between the composite element and its
components. The example presumes I am in (or going to) the NIV work
namespace (in the non-technical sense) but I have marked verse divisions
according to the KJV. )

Actually could have multiple join elements,  should be fairly easy
processing with XSLT, so could have multiple versification traditions
there as well.

I think the upside to either method is that the normal case is handled
as expected and only the exceptional cases require unusual markup. (That
is not a principled argument but one of acceptance by a user community.
We could just as easily handle such cases as out-of-line markup and the
parsers would not care, but authoring/encoding would be more difficult
to explain to the average user.)

I will be calling Steve a little later today to see if I can get the
rest of the notes and will try to have another rough version out by
later today or early tomorrow.