[osis-core] <emph> and formatting in OSIS

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:37:33 -0400

Chris,

> Even if we do not add <emph>, we must identify standard type values
> for the seg element to indicate types of emphasis.  I don't see why we
> should be planning for de facto standards to make up for the failures
> of a standard that is not yet completed when we have the ability to
> prevent those faults from being in the final standard.

Ouch!

Not including <emph> is a failure of the standard! That is as
unreasonable as my thinking including <emph> make it a failure! Glad I
am in good company! ;-)

While I despise <emph> as a failure of will on the part of the TEI
standard, I do agree that we need some principled way to deal with text
that was presented to the encoder differently, even if the cause of that
varying presentation is not known to the encoder. It could be the case
that it is a technical term that the encoder simply does not recognize,
it may also be just the whim of the translator who has some personal
knowledge (as opposed to public knowledge which is known to others)
about that particular passage.

Compromise: Would using <seg> be too onerous if you propose a common set
of values for an "rend" attribute? (Steve may hit me the next time we
meet for suggesting "rend" (another failure of the TEI, at least for
authoring purposes) but it does avoid the meaninglessness of <emp>. By
that I mean it really is at least a <seg> whether that has any meaning
at all remains to be seen but I see that as better than <emph> which is
an "I don't know" element.

Action: Wait for Chris to propose a set of attribute values and for
Steve to hit me for the suggestion. ;-)