[osis-core] When an osisID is not an osisID?

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 08:47:58 -0400

Greetings,

A brief diversion on one of the topics that Todd brought to my attention
some time ago.

If you look at the CEV translation of Matthew, you will note that about
mid-way in the first paragraph, it has a reference to 2-6a and a little
later, a paragraph begins with 6b-11.

My suggestion to Todd was that this is not actually a referencing system
in the CEV, but is in fact the use of a foreign reference system to
allow someone using this text to map back to an inconsistent system from
the one in the CEV.

 From my reading of the CEV, this system appears to follow no particular
practice in terms of relating this references to actual structures in
the text and operate as the print equivalent of milestones rather than
as osisIDs on containers.

Since I think we are likely to find any number of such translations
(that don't have any container correspondence to traditional references)
I would strongly suggest that we document that such references should be
encoded as milestones using osisRef (coming in a little while) as
opposed to osisID. Since osisRef will allow the specification of ranges
and this is actually a reference to a reference system, that appears to
make the most sense to me. (I am also not unmindful that it avoids all
sorts of nasty crossing problems.)

Proposal:

For translations/texts  that do not follow a canonical reference system
but that do refer to such systems to document particular places in the
text, the structure of the text should be encoded but references to the
external system, whether on an element or by milestone appearing in
running text, should be using the osisRef attribute of type osisRef.