[osis-core] ID confusion

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:21:40 -0400

At 08:17 AM -0400 06/26/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Troy called last night (after my bedtime but got the voice mail) to
>discuss the question of self-identification and IDs. In writing a
>reply this morning, I have "discovered" an ambiguity that you may
>all have been aware of but is new to me.
>
>We have ID attributes on all elements (well, verseID on verses but
>more on that in a moment).
>
>If IDs or verseIDs on verses serve as canonical identifiers
>(Matt.1.1, Job.5.5) then they have a different semantics from the
>IDs on pointers, which are just IDs in the traditional sense of
>SGML/XML IDs, in that they only identify the element for the
>document instance. They have no meaning outside of the document.
>
>When I was using "Who am I?" I meant it in terms of identification
>in the traditional SGML/XML sense and not in the sense of a
>canonical identifier.
>
>For economy reasons I don't have a problem with verseID or other IDs
>operating as canonical identifiers but I think we will need to
>document the difference in the semantics. Already part of the way
>there with verseID, which is not a true SGML/XML ID, although it has
>some of the characteristics of one.
>
>So, for other texts, Josephus for example, do we need to allow other
>elements to have something like verseID that will allow them to have
>a canonical reference without overloading ID or should we simply
>overload ID and document it?

Hmmmm. Because of the non-Biblical cases we'll deal with later, and
because we have canonnical identifiers for chapters and whole books
as well as verses, we might be wise to call it 'canonical-id' (or
some abbreviation) rather than 'verseId'

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net