[osis-core] scripCom

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:08:50 -0400

> Its late in the day (for me, I'm an early riser) but I will be sending
> out the latest version knowing this is still an open issue. I wanted to
> try to see if I can repeat your requirements to make sure I am
> understanding them:
>
> At the document or div level, you want to be able to identify the
> "subject" (I know loaded term but all I know to use) of that document or
> div. In other words, it is not a pointer (in the HTML or XLink sense)
> but rather an identifier of what I am about? It may also, depending upon
> the syntax, operate as a pointer but that is not its primary function?
>
> Not sure but seems to me that should be separated from the link/pointer
> function because you might want to say: subject="Garden of Eden" for
> example, across a set of commentaries and that is probably not a valid
> pointer, at least to a canonical reference.

My own requirements make it necessary to say a document is a commentary
on some abstract pointer like Matt.1.3 or a more concrete one -- a
particular
passage in a particular book.  I wasn't present for the discussion on
OSIS pointers, so I'm not sure I understand their syntax or semantics.
My understanding is that an OSIS pointer could point to a scripture passage
without pointing to a particular translation, etc.

Allowing an element to make a claim about its subject without pointing
to a particular document is a different (though also useful) idea.

 -Harry