[osis-core] Mentioned content model?

Eric and Allison Albright osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 11:29:38 +0800

I am going to forward two messages which I had with my dad about mentioned that
will provide some examples and discussion that I believe will be helpful to you.
"Fw: mentioned" is a reply to "Fw: I'm trying to understand reasons for quotes
and to give examples".

As for Patrick's original question about can't you have <seg type="mentioned">.
Two questions:

1. Does seg allow for discontinuous markup (such that you can have <seg>some
If not, then you need to verify that everything else that uses <seg> will never
overlap. If I remember correctly, seg is your general purpose extension for
someone who needs to markup something which OSIS doesn't cover and if that is
the case, it needs to allow for discontinuous markup since there is no way you
can envision everything that people will want to markup.

2. Does having mentioned as typed seg fit into the overall paradigm of OSIS. In
other words, what other markup has been privileged to be given an element of its
own and what were your reasons for doing so. When you relegate an element to a
typed general purpose element, at the very least you are saying that element has
no special content model or attributes. I don't think that mentioned has any
need for special content model or attributes so it very well could be such a
general purpose typed element provided that you have done the same for all other
phrase level soup elements that don't have special attributes or content model.
Personally my preference is to privilege those elements that we know exist and
will encounter by giving them their own element even if it means having 10 more
elements overall and leaving the typed seg to fill the place of extra markup
that wasn't originally imagined. But I wouldn't have serious objections as long
as overall one markup philosophy is used.

Hope this helps,

Eric