[osis-core] Overlapping Summary??

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:38:58 -0400

If I remember correctly, Steve was suggesting using only containers
(segments) for 1.1 to see how much of a pain it turns out to be.
Then possibly add milestone containers in 2.0, with a clear
explanation of semantics.

I mumbled something not-very-well-thought-out about using some
start- and end-milestones in 1.1 that could later be interpreted
as containers in some other version or level of OSIS. However, I'd
want to think that out carefully before taking that approach.  Can
the same file always work for two different semantic systems?

Then again the majority of overlap problems identified so far have
to do with quotes. Maybe for quotes at least we could find some
way of representing quotes with milestones. This would be one compromise
we could make to minimize segmentation problems. What we'd be giving
up is the ability to treat quotes as containers in XSLT, DOM, etc.
We'd also be giving up the ability to use XSLT to find the correct kind

Possibilties:
  1.  Pure segmentation in 1.1; look into milestone containers in 2.0
  2.  Pure segmentation with milestone quote start and quote end
  3.  Pure segmentation with the option of milestone quote start and end.

I lean a bit toward #1.  We can always use &rdquo; instead of
milestones.

-Harry