[osis-core] Element Review: <date>

Fri, 21 Jun 2002 06:09:27 -0400

Steve,

Steve DeRose wrote:

> At 04:47 PM -0400 06/16/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>
>> <date> has only PCDATA and <note> (optional).
>>
>> Recall Harry's question on specifying the data type?
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> My reaction is that we should be able to specify data typing but
>> leave the option for it to be unconstrained. Not sure that many
>> ancient texts follow a date format that one could specify for data
>> typing. (Would be useful in more modern texts.)
>

> I think I posted on this a little earlier -- I like adding TEI
> 'calendar' attribute, and either specifying a particular standard form
> to us on the 'value' attribute, or giving a way to say what format you
> *are* using (including specifying standard names for the ones we
> anticipate, and the usual x- extension mechanism.

OSIS has the following simple type for dates:

<xs:simpleType name="calendar">
	<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
		<xs:enumeration value="Chinese"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Gregorian"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Islamic"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="ISO"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Jewish"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Julian"/>
	</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Bound to the calendarType attribute of date as follows:

<xs:attribute name="calendarType" type="calendar" use="optional" default="ISO"/>

Suggested change:

Add:

<xs:simpleType name="calendarType">
	<xs:union memberTypes="calendarOSIS attributeExtension"/>
</xs:simpleType>

Change simple type name to: calendarOSIS.

Change the attribute in date to:

<xs:attribute name="calendar" type="calendarType" use="optional" default="ISO'/>

Has the advantage that users now can use the attribute name "calendar"
which is probably more intuiative than "calendarType" and corrects that
lack of an extension mechanism.

Changes in full would be:

<xs:simpleType name="calendarOSIS">
	<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
		<xs:enumeration value="Chinese"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Gregorian"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Islamic"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="ISO"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Jewish"/>
		<xs:enumeration value="Julian"/>
	</xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:simpleType name="calendarType">
	<xs:union memberTypes="calendarOSIS attributeExtension"/>
</xs:simpleType>

Change attribute in date to:

<xs:attribute name="calendar" type="calendarType" use="optional" default="ISO'/>

Comments?

Patrick