[osis-core] Placement of <note>s

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:13:14 -0400

Notes were not really my primary concern -- XML-savvy editors
wouldn't have a problem and naive users using a word processor
would use the native footnote UI.  I was thinking of other
instances of out-of-place text, e.g. verse segments that might
be placed out of order.  It was a general suggestion to keep the
order of the XML document the same as the presentation order
if at all possible.

-harry

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
[mailto:owner-osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org]On Behalf Of Patrick
Durusau
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 9:11 AM
To: osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Subject: Re: [osis-core] Placement of <note>s

Harry,

Just a quick note on placement of notes.

I understand the difficulty of editing when notes appear "inline" in the
text but I am not sure if there is an easy solution to that problem.
Traditionally, notes have been inserted "inline" in the markup and
proper rendering is the task of the presentation software. I suppose it
would also be possible to have the content model allow (require?) notes
to appear at the end of the document instance but then the user would
have to construct XLinks to show the proper insertion point in the text
and assuming we wanted to have visual cues for the person editing, we
would need some sort of inline marker to which the note would point.
(The inline marker not being required by XML, since it can reconstruct
the visual cue for the reader based upon the XLink held elsewhere.)

Not sure we can address this problem adequately but would be interested
in any suggestions for any possible solution.

Patrick