[osis-core] tags we can consolidate?

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:56:01 -0400

Troy,

Comments follow:

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> I'm a little vague on the exact usage of some of these tags.  I've
> included comments where provided in the schema.
>
> Question is: can we consolidate some of these?
>

> <xs:element name="q">
> <xs:element name="blockQuote">
>
> (I understand the usage for these :)  )
> It has been suggested on the list to use something like <q type="block">

Hmmm, let me change it in the test release today and see how that works.
Not sure why I inserted blockQute originally. ;-) To some degree may be
a lingering  rendering idea.

> <!-- close is a child of div and blockQuote, meant to deal with close
> of letters (Pauline for example) -->
> <!-- dropped expansion attribute that was included by bad copying of
> element model, 24 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- restored seg as an element, 31 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- changed name to closer from close, 14 June 2002, pld -->
> <!-- added lineGroup, list, signed, 18 June 2002, pld -->
>
> <xs:element name="closer">
>

> <!-- salute occurs in both blockQuote as well as p since encoders may
> choose to use different mechanisms contain material where a salute
> occurs -->
> <!-- restored seg as an element, 31 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- added divineName, note, q, speaker, 18 June 2002 -->
>
> <xs:element name="salute">
>

> <!-- signed is used to record the ending of a text where the author
> indicates that they have issued a particular work -->
> <!-- restored seg as an element, 31 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- added divineName, 18 June 2002, pld -->
>
> <xs:element name="signed">

Not sure what you want to consolidate here. Within a <closer> one may
general beginning of a letter, etc.

> <!-- speaker will usually have content but is not required to do so,
> shifts in the character in poetic dialogue may not be explicitly
> marked in a text but the encoder wishes to make a claim about such
> speakers -->
> <!-- added divineName, 18 June 2002, pld -->
>
> <xs:element name="speaker">

Combine with what?

> <xs:element name="mentioned">
>

> <!-- speech is used to mark direct speeches, reported speeches should
> be recorded using the q element -->
> <!-- content model fixed to allow recursion, 24 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- commented out the key/keyRef for speech, 24 May 2002, pld -->
> <!-- add who as attribute -->
> <!-- restored seg as an element, add who as attribute, 31 May 2002,
> pld -->
> <!-- added divineName, p, signed, transChange, 18 June 2002, pld -->
>
> <xs:element name="speech">

Do you mean combine <speech> with <q>? That would work in running texts
of the Bible but would work less well in more general works that want to
record a <speech> as something separate from a <q> in the text.

Comments?