[osis-core] Element Review: <reading>

Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:42:22 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Is the purpose for reading to:
>
> allow for The Amplified Bible
>
> or for notations like 2 thes 2:13
> which most texts render aparXA as the contracted ap' (apo) arXAs (from
> the beginning)  but most texts will note something like:
> alternate reading: aparXAn (first fruits)
>
> or possibly something like:
> lit.: a son of God

The third example (as I remember the discussion with Eric in Rome).
Reading occurs in <note> to indicate an alternative reading from another
source. The Amplified Bible would be covered with <transChange> to
indicate a departure from translation to expansion (slippery distinction
I know but not sure how to be more precise).

> or possibly for minor text crit, like many NKJV general study Bibles
> have, like:
> NU: omits this phrase
> to note variants in NKJV probably due to underlying greek variants
> between TR and Nestle-Aland/UBS GNT (NU)

Patrick