[osis-core] Use of "+" in grain of a reference.

Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:49:52 -0400

Todd,

The general structure of the grain for character references is:

grain ::= 'char:' offset length? content
offset ::= integer
length ::= '+' integer
content ::= '(' [^0]+ ')'
integer ::= [0-9]+

The '+' sign is just a separator character. (Steve, didn't XPointer use
a comma?)

Look at Steve's post on 9 May 2002, subject line Pointer syntax.

I have discussed this with Steve and the intent is to be able to point to:

1. a particular location, i.e., just the offset

2. a particular range of characters, offset+length

3. a particular range of characters, offset+lenth and then to a
particular word in that range (at least that is how I read it)

(Don't know that I want to complicate the regex any more but I suspect
that the text string would be more useful if it were match on this ref,
then find this string and not have string as part of offset and length.
If I know that much detail, why do I need the string? (Steve, can you
help out here?)