[osis-core] Segmenation.

Fri, 14 Jun 2002 13:34:10 -0400

Todd,

I am not at all sure I understand the proposal but I will attempt to say
it back to you to see if I can get even close. ;-)

What you are proposing is that we have attributes on elements (roles,
which I find confusing from my work on topicmaps but may be clear as a
bell to everyone else) that carry information about a common container
element for biblical text?

In other words, in cases where segmentation might be markup heavy, that
we use the attributes to assemble verses from several elements?

To take Troy's case:

<verse id="Troy.1.1">Then God said, <q verseID="Troy.1.1">Say to my
people: <q verseID="Troy.1.1" id="q1">Thus says the LORD</q>, <q
verseID="Troy.1.1" id="q2">Repent!</q><q verseID="Troy.1.2"
prev="q2">You backsliding markup authors.</q> <q verseID="Troy.1.2"
id="q3" next="q4">How often have I desired to give you a good
markup.</q><q verseID="Troy.1.3" prev="q3> But you were

Or in text:

Then God said, "Say to my people: 'Thus says the LORD, "Repent! 2. You
backsliding markup authors."
    How often have I desired to give you a good markup. 3. But you were
unwilling.

Question:  How do  I contain the part: Then God said... here I have just
opted for adding a verse close, but that does not seem very elegant.
Otherwise looks fairly crafty to me! (I actually had to work it out by
hand to get this far.)

BTW, Troy's example was fairly interesting! ;-)  I was working through
it before I realized what it was saying. That a "close reading" of the
text as the academics would say. ;-)

Comments?