[osis-core] Schema issues

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:59:03 -0400

I managed to get XMetaL Pro to read (and validate) a document
with the OSIS core (test 10) schema.

--------------- duplicate attributes ----------------

XMetaL didn't like the schema at first because some elements
had repeated attributes with the same name. I found four
instances:
  - osisText has "work" attribute and globalAttributes,
    which also includes "work"
  - blockQuote has outReferenceAttributes and globalAttributes
  - div has inReferenceAttributes and globalAttributes
  - milestone has inReferenceAttributes and globalAttributes

After these duplications were deleted, XMetaL was happy with the
schema.

------------------ "ews" attribute ------------------

I could figure out what element and attributes were intended to
be from the name.  The one that entirely mystified me was "ews".
What is that for?  Could a more meaningful name be used?

---------------- format attribute ----------------

In some header elements, there could be more than one format
for a given element, as well as more than one type.  For example,
there may be several dates of interest for a document: the date
it was originally written, the publication date of the print edition,
the publication date of the electronic edition, etc. These dates
may be represented in different formats, such as 11 June 2002,
2002-06-11 (ISO format), etc. I could see using "type" to specify
which date it is, but what about the date format?

It may be desirable to have names in two formats: short and
canonical, e.g. John Calvin and Calvin, John (1509-1564).  Would
the recommendation be to use "type" to distinguish them? It seems
more like a "format" to me.

Unless there's only one legal format for a header element, I'd
suggest adding a "format" attribute.

Where is the reference scheme documented?

-Harry