[osis-core] New Schema! - Chapter indicator.

Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:49:26 -0400

>What is the best way to indicate the start of a chapter or that a <div>
>exactly contains a chapter?

one indicate a chapter, well, short of having a chapter element and
there you are simply trusting that it has been used properly.)

>Also how do we indicate that there are several <div> or other "containers"
>that togeather make up a chapter?

Well, to take the tree model of SGML/XML that I malign on a regular
basis, if they are all children of the <div type="chapter"> then they
are all components of the chapter.

Or do you mean sibling <div>'s that together make up a chapter without
being children of a common container? Sounds like bad markup, number
one, but you could use the prev/next mechanism to bind them together.
Not sure how such a case would arise.

>Further, how do we indicate the start and end of a chapter when the
>"containers" hold parts of more than one chapter BUT each container holds a
>number of children and a couple GRANDCHILDREN who make up the chapter.

Oh, you mean the second case above. Hmmm, can you give me an example of
such a case? I am drawing blank on what sort of containers (more than
one, right?) that could each contain parts (of the same chapters
(plural)) and other elements that fall outside the chapters. (Not that I
don't suspect that to be the case with mis-ordered manuscripts and such
but I don't think this release of OSIS can deal with that problem.)