[osis-core] Reference Syntax Proposal

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:14:51 -0700

Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>>Quick clarification:

> Matt.1.6a">
>
>>assuming this should be:

>>Matt.1.6.a">
>>
>>[NOTE the '.a']
>>
>>judging from:
>>

>>>B. Match on Matt.1.6.*. If that fails,
>>
>>Unless you really mean '.*' as in the regex meaning, but didn't think
>
> so.
>

> I an with Troy that "Matt.1.6a" should not be allowed in any case
> (unless the "standard" reference system actually specifies Matt.1.6a as
> an individual reference and does NOT have a "Matt.1.6").
>
> However, unless the "standard" reference system actually defines a four
> level system of identifiers then "Matt.1.6.a" would not be correct
> either.

I think Patrick's suggestion (let me word it in my terms and see if
Patrick corrects me) is good which states:

If a document claims it uses/implements say, the KJV versification
scheme, then Mat, Mat.1, Mat.1.6 are all ok, AND
Mat.1.6.myOwnSubdivision is also perfectly ok.

if this document actually wishes anyone outside this document to be able
to reach Mat.1.6.myOwnSubdivision with an osisRef, then that document
would have to define its own KJVextended reference system (probably not
very common, if ever).