[osis-core] Wrapping up?

Tue, 23 Jul 2002 11:10:56 -0600

With the pre-Rome schema I while trying to encoding Matt.1 I was faced
with the fact that Matt.1.2-6a is a single block of text.  There was a
lot of discussion related to that as referenced below.

I had no idea where to put the individual milestones (Matt.1.2,
Matt.1.3, ...) because all that is available is the block Matt.1.2-6a.
Yes, it would seem that the translator is implying the "standard"
reference system but has provided no mechanism to handle this ugly case.

I think we would both agree that the core problem with what we are
dealing with is that there is NOT a one-to-one mapping between the
blocks of text that translators produce and the "standard" reference
systems that the translator names those blocks of texts with.  (There
are one-to-many, many-to-one, and many-to-many cases.)

Let me propose an assumption:

A translator when constructing a translation is marking text with
identifiers based on ONE of the "standard" reference systems and that
the translator WILL LIKELY deem it necessary to both
a) split text normally associated with a single verse identifier in the
"standard" reference system into two separate blocks of text
b) combine more than one verse as well as more than one verse AND only
part of one or more verses into a single block to text where the
concepts/meanings normally associated with each of the "standard"
reference system verse identifiers are homogenized into a single larger
block of text.

It is also possible that a translator is considering more than one
"standard" reference system while translating.  Although this is a real
case, the current OSIS effort will focus on primary support for a single
reference system for identifying text and provide a secondary mechanism
to mark text with a second reference system through the <milestone>
element.  Further support for additional reference systems will also be
supported through a mapping mechanism external to the Bible documents
themselves in later developments of the Bible Technologies Working
Group.

(I am sending the previous two paragraphs to folks at SIL to solicit a
response on the assumption as well as posting it separately.)

There was quite a bit of conversation on this topic from 3/23/02-3/26/02
under the subjects

RE: OSIS_0102-42 <verseStart>  AND ReferenceType AND range reference!

whoami vs. wheredoipoint: Was: Re: OSIS_0102-42 <verseStart>  AND
ReferenceType AND range reference!

Re: OSIS_0102-43 <groupLine> is extra and an orphan

And from 4/8/02-4/12/02 under the subjects:

Re: [osis-core] OSIS_0105:2 non-Bible References?

RE: [osis-core] osis_0108.3 Making milestone OSISID and OSISIDREF match.

OPTION E!

You can also search for "Matt.1.6" and/or "Matt.1.6a" and find the same
set of posts.

See the next two related posts by me related to this topic.

Todd