[osis-core] Wrapping up?

Mon, 22 Jul 2002 21:47:43 -0600

You are correct in that there was consistent support for multiple
reference systems through milestones in the pre-Rome strategy that
BETTER supports multiple reference systems where the points at which
verses start and end differ between reference systems.

I am clear on the elegance of the pre-Rome strategy.

The point I was making what that if the locations of the starting and
ending points is undeterminable because the translator(s) choose to
translate a block of text in such a way that there are no subdivisions
where there would traditionally have been several identifiers/verse ids
(by one or more different reference systems).  In this case the options
are
1) to take on a role similar to the role of the translator and create
verses out of the larger block of text defined by the original
translator(s).  Currently this could be done using milestones within a
verse that's consistent with the original translation or by making
several verse elements.  If there are more than two reference systems
with differing verse boundaries in addition to the reference system of
the work itself, then new milestones would have to be added in to
support the third reference system.

2) do not take on the translator like role and only attempt to map
between the "standard" reference systems and the structure/work defined
reference system.

I believe that it makes the most sense for each Bible document to
support a "standard" reference system (even if it has these grouped and
fragmented sections of text that don't map nicely to the "standard"
reference system).  And that mappings between reference systems be
created and supported at the desired level of granularity externally
from the document itself.

NOT
> having a SINCLE point that was the previously agreed upon solution.
It
> seems you may not understand the pre-rome method for tagging this
> phenomemon.  In the example above, if a section of text was to be a
> valid reference target for Mark.1.1-2, the above 2 start milestones
were
> to preceed the paragraph and 2 end milestones would bound the text.
> Then a reference to either Mark.1.1 or Mark.1.2 would validly point to
> this same chunk of text.  Does that make sense?  Did you understand it
> this way and I was just missing something in your reply?
>

> >  The
> > best option here is to allow osisID to be a list of osisIDs.  This
if
> > great for the case where there is one element in the document for
many
> > "standard" reference system identifiers.
>

> > The trouble starts when there
> > are many elements to one identifier in the "standard" reference
system
>  > or even worse many to many!
>
> ? Like a reference to Mark.1.1 resolves to many places in the
document?
>   Do we really wish to support this?  Are you saying that we wish to
> allow many places in a document to claim: I am (in the KJV ref system)
> work KJV "Mark.1.1"?  I think this should be explicitly disallowed.
>

> > <verse osisID="Bible.Todd:Mark.1.1-9" altIDs="Mark.1.1 Mark.1.2
Mark.1.3