[osis-core] Wrapping up?

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:43:06 -0700

Hey Todd,

	Sorry for the delay.  Here are my understanding and thought while we wait...

> 1) osisID is for self identifying and is never a range.

yes.

> 2) osisID is always an identifier that fully describes the fully body of
> text it contains.

not sure about this.  I don't think we're finalized a decision on how to
self-identify some of the more contemporary texts that versify by
paragraphs. e.g. "This paragraph is Mark 1:1-9"

> 3) higher level "containers" like <div>, <p>, <lineGroup>, <list>, etc..
> will have an optional identifying attribute that deferrers from an
> osisID in that it MAY be a range.  These containers will also have an
> optional osisID attribute for the cases where they purely contain larger
> grain reference like a book or a chapter.

Not sure I understand this completely.  I do understand osisID used for
higher level (in the context of versification system) of
self-identification.  e.g.

     <verse osisID="Mark.1.1">
The beginnning of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God
     </verse>

I don't understand the 'MAY be a range' that you have stated above.
Did we decide it would be ok to FORCE a complex reference system
resolution framework in this first OSIS release?  There is a big
difference between resolving a reference of a purely string-match
schema, as opposed to the what I think you are suggesting in this #3 item.

> 4) osisID is mandatory on <verse> elements.

sure.

> 5) all other references will use the <reference> element with an
> appropriate type or type/subtype value.

other references?  Not sure what you mean 'other references'.  My
understanding is that <reference> is the "I'm pointing to..."
counterpart of the "I am the..." osisID

> 6) references, osisID, and container ids (see #3 above) all take the
> same from including the option of a grain with the exception that an
> osisID may not have a range.

not sure.  I still don't understand this 'container id' thing.  Maybe I
should go back and reread the archives to see if I missed something.  My
inhibitions are still such that I believe allowing such a mechanism will
drastrically complicate implementations for a first level of OSIS support.

> 7) either a reference system or a reference system/work pair must be
> specified in references, osisIDs, and container ids.  The absence of any
> specification implies the default.

reference system: yes.  But are we forcing a 'work' also?  Or do you
just mean that _Any_ would be included in the set of valid 'work' defaults.

> 8) a default reference system or reference system/work pair must be
> specified in the header.

yes (provided above stipulation on work is true)

> 9) osisIDs may be from more than one reference system.

yes.  Bob specifically stated that he uses this to markup his texts with
more than one reference system.  I think he's going to have a very hard
time now that verse is no longer a milestone.  This case was his support
that he voiced publicly at the Rome meeting justifying our decision (at
that time) to make verse a milestone.

more (after lunch)...