[osis-core] references and self-ids Part 2 - Ambiguity between work and reference system

Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:11:04 -0600

In January we attempted to simplify by merging the concepts of reference
system and work into a SINGLE concept.  The assumption was that a work
is more specific that a reference system and that if a specific work is
indicated that any "less specific" reference system that the work
complies with would be derived from the work itself of some other
source.  It would seem that some of the recent discussion revolves
around the ambiguity that exists between when an reference system is
intended and when a work is intended.  Do we intend to continue with no
distinction between work and reference system?  With the current
mechanism in the header there seems to be the opportunity to specify
both.

I have a couple of related proposals in the next post.

Thoughts?

Todd