[osis-core] Is this ready for OSIS 1.1? Overlapping heirarchies

Fri, 05 Jul 2002 05:44:23 -0400

>There seems to be little help for multiple overlapping heirarchies.

If you check the message that arrived while you were dodging forest
fires you will find messages essentially concedeing  that we don't have
a good solution for overlap but that we will address that issue again in
OSIS 2.0.

>There was Troy's points about what would seem reasonable as move complex
>releases come about.

The present proposal does not, in my opinion, seriously limit the scope
of a solution in a future release.

>Did we say that a <verse> element can never be split and that a verse must
>always be represented by multiple <seg> elements?  If not why do we have
><seg>?

There is a difference between segementing a verse, which bears next and
prev attributes and the <seg> element which can appear in a verse to
mark some phrase that we have failed to provide an element to encode. We
have no element for curse (in the sense of a formula) for example. I
could have <seg type="curse">Woe is the day of my birth</seg> which
would occur inside of a verse (the verse is not segmented in any sense).

>How do we handle the cases previously brought up regarding Matt 13?  These
>are not hypothetical cases but real cases.

Personally I would do the quotes in Matt 13 using the milestone element.
Those are not meaningful containers (in my opinion) and I would not
struggle to make them so.

It is also possible to see every typographical feature in any
translation as a container and to insist that some elegant solution be
found to represent such matters. I don't think there is one, I have not
seen one suggested and I think we need to acknowledge there will be some
pathological cases and move on. I think there are better solutions for
some cases than others and I hope that we can provide some of those by
OSIS 2.0.