[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 06:50:31 -0400

What's the purpose of the <work> entry -- is it more or less a bibliography
entry, so you can identify the desired work, edition, language? If so, some
of the dublin core elements don't seem to be relevant. It doesn't seem to
help in identifying a work to give its <contributor>, <subject>,

I'm not even sure it makes sense to specify something like <subject> --
would we be saying, perhaps, that we don't know a work's title or author --
we just want any work on a particular subject?

On the other hand, some of the dublin core elements would have to be
overloaded with custom types.  For example,

<identifier type="URL">
<identifier type="ISBN">
<identifier type="ISSN">
<identifier type="osisWork">

<work refWork="LXX"><osisWork>bible.lxx</osisWork></work> would give us a
way of saying "I want to use the osisID scheme of bible.lxx" without
identifying a title, author, publisher, etc.

What about using elements more closely tied to traditional bibliography
entries, the ways that were discussed in Rome for selecting bible versions
(version, language, ???), and URL, ISBN, ISSN?

-Harry