[osis-core] Canonical Reference Scheme

Wed, 03 Jul 2002 19:37:17 -0400

Greetings,

Harry has suggested the NRSVA as the canonical reference standard, which
works for the Apocrypha and NT but less well for the OT.

Reasoning: The Hebrew OT versification differs in the Psalms and if we
use the BHS as the canonical reference for OT, a head (for a Psalm for
example) can point to the appropriate verse in the OT.

Downside is that references in the Psalms (elsewhere?) will be
unfamiliar to users, leading to data entry error.

At this point I am willing to go with the NRSVA and deal with the
mapping separately. (Advantage is it get us out the door and fixing
problems. I don't think this will preclude a more robust solution in the
near term.)

Comments, suggestions?

Note that Harry is about to go offline so speak up quickly!