[osis-core] Proposed works syntax

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:44:02 -0400

At 07:20 AM -0400 07/03/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Is the following a step in the right direction for Steve's
>works-referenced syntax?
>
>Add to header:
>
><references> contains only <work>*
>
><xs:element name="work">

>I just put the work attribute in as xs:string but that is just a
>place holder. Please suggest how we could enumerate values for use
>with our "x-" extension.
>
>Reasoning being that by specifying the work attribute on osisID,
>there is a reference back to the <work> element(s) held in
>references. Note that this is not ID/IDREF so we can avoid the name
>restrictions in XML. So, would have to be enforced by application.
>
>This does not solve the versification problem but does at least
>clear part of the way to that problem.
>
>Comments, suggestions?

Seems fine to me in general. Couple nits:

We should factor out the DC stuff so it stays in sync with the other
place we use it.

We need to make that either

    a) work names can't contain '.'
or
    b) work names are separated from refernces by something else, and that
       something else can't go in work names.

I think I'd suggest a work name be like a namespace prefix: can
contain the usual XML name stuff (at least; but no colon) -- and is
sep. from the ref by a colon.

Should we make it a validity requirement that all works cited be
declared in this thing up top, or should we be loose and not
*require* it?

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net