[osis-core] Shadow milestones

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 12:22:04 -0400

At 04:18 PM -0400 07/02/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Steve,
>
>Steve DeRose wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>>Can you say a word or two about "shadow milestones?" Understand
>>>that Bob needs/wants them and we agreed to provide but not sure
>>>how they differ from a regular milestone? Is this an attribute
>>>sort of thingy?
>>

>>No, basically he just wants a special milestone to drop in, typical
>>slightly earlier than the real start of chapter/verse/whatever,
>>that means 'If asked for this reference, scroll here instead of to
>>the actual place where the referenced text starts'. This is
>>definitely useful, though most people won't encode it.
>>
>>Actually, I wonder if this should be a processing instruction?
>>that's what it is conceptually.....
>>
>Would this be a case where I ask for Matthew.1.1 and it actually
>takes me to the start of Matthew.1 so I see the lead-in notes? As
>opposed to going directly to Matthew.1.1? (Some people might find
>that useful, I would find it annoying. ;-)

RIght.

>So, <milestone osisID="S-Matt.1.1"> where the S- is used only in
>milestones to mark such locations? Seems easier than a special form
>of milestone.

Except that it then complicates our reference syntax -- we have to
reserve 'S-" or something; and if the work is included you'd have to
parse down to it to get the "S-" anyway.

How about either a 'type' on milestone, or a PI like:

  <?osis:scrollTo osisID="Matt.1.1"?>

It *is* a processing instruction (or hint), after all. Though I
suppose it has the downside that you have to have slightly more
specialized code to deal with it (like, CSS couldn't touch it; but
then it can't do much for links anyway).

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net