[osis-core] Index Syntax

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:01:34 -0400

At 11:25 AM -0400 06/30/02, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>So you consider the page numbers to be titles? Ah, in the sense of
>where do I look for this subject? Hmmm, but in terms of my
>constructing an index, each entry would be for its particular place,
>thus:

>key2="theodicy"/>some more text, blah, blah, <index ID="15515"
>index-name="subject" key1="Babylonian sufferer"/>
>
>Note that when you auto-generate the index, the values of the key1,
>key2, key3 (proposed attributes) are the entries in your subject
>index (declared in index-name) and they are as follows:

Yes; if the index entries are being marked, hopefully they are being
marked in the text where they go; in which case you can either
auto-generate a page or canonical id as appropriate, or do without
(since the index is essentially the result of a query for all these
index-entry elements, and in the result, you could have anything you
wanted, since the machine can take you right to where it was
generated from.

Or were you thinking of just encoding a printed back-of-book index as
a source document?  That would be a different animal, I think.

Oh, one other nit: Should we do anything for 'see' and 'see also'?

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net