[osis-core] osisRef (finally)

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:15:08 -0700

Harry,

> It seems to me that we need
>
>   1. A way of "registering" a set of osisIDs for a work identifier like
>      "Bible.KJV". This could be done by declaring a certain document to
>      embody/exemplify the standard.
>
>      I.e. say that "Bible.KJV" must use osisIDs in the way that they are
>      used in http://bibletechnologies.org/osisID/bible.kjv.xml
>
>   2. A way of "registering" a transformation between two different schemes.
>      E.g. saying that the transformation from Bible.KJV to Bible.LXX is
>      defined in http://bibletechnologies.org/osisID/bible.kjv-bible.lxx.xml.
>      Perhaps that doc would have osisIDs for bible.kjv and osisRefs for
>      bible.lxx. You'd have a separate bible.lxx-bible.kjv.xml.
>
>      Note that if you have say 100 versions of bibles, you wouldn't want
>      to have all pairwise transformations. That would be about 20,000
>      transformations. More likely, you'd have a transformation for every
>      version into and out of a reference version that has all possible
>      books, e.g. NRSVA.
>
>   3. Maybe a generic class of schemes like "bible" could be defined as long
>      as it was possible to convert between any pair of particular schemes
>      in the class, e.g. Bible.LXX and Bible.KJV.  So, you're only allowed to
>      use the "bible" prefix in your work identifier if you've got a
> translation
>      to/from a reference document for the Bible class, such as NRSVA.
> Perhaps
>      the osisID reference for the class would be
>      http://bibletechnologies.org/osisID/bible.xml.

These are excellent for the discussion that I still hope we will defer
until after the first public release.

I especially like your clear definition of 'Bible.', "You can use
Bible.SomeVersificationScheme, as long as SomeVersificationScheme has a
mapping defined by you or someone else to/from the _reference_ 'Bible'
scheme.

This is also clear for Josephus.SomeVersificationScheme