[osis-core] osisRef (finally)

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 02 Jul 2002 10:58:26 -0700

> Thus, I should be able to say (in some syntax): Versification -
> Standard, Translation/Edition (to specify a particular translation), etc.

Yes.  We need a way to specify reference scheme, separate from target
work.  We had lengthy discussion on this, and I wouldn't do justice
restating everyone's opinion.  But, I believe the conclusion was to
eventually allow something like:

<someHeader refScheme="Bible.French">

<reference work="KJV" osisID="Ps.40.1">

and get the equiv. text in the KJV relative to the French reference scheme.

or to allow them to override the default with:

<reference refScheme="Bible.KJV" work="KJV" osisID="Ps.40.1">

and get Ps 40:1 from the KJV as refered to in the KJV by the KJV
reference scheme.

> Perhaps we should return to Harry's question of having a standard
> versification (includes all apocrypha, etc.) since the greater includes
> the lesser and simply say that is the standard versification by default
> and that all others map to it? (Without attempting the mapping at this
> late date.) I could probably cast together a pattern of "or" statements
> that would validate any standard bible reference. (In other words,
> unlike the regex that Todd and I labored so long on, it would have range
> operators for the individual books and verses. Anyone who wants to use
> an alternative versification, such as the Jewish one, could subtype that
> standard and extend the range statements.

Consensus at Dallas was to put this off to a future release.  We were
only going to mark _our_ (the documents) reference scheme in the header,
mark all target points with <verseStart refID="" /> and leave the
defining and mapping mechanism to a future meeting.

Maybe that _future_ time has pasted, but I believe the reason for
deferment was to get a public spec. out sometime soon, which we have not
yet accomplished; so, I would still hold the position: let's worry about
it later!

> Therefore, our reference syntax would be:
> Bible.Standard.(translation/edition)?.(book).(chapter)?.(verse)? with
> the Bible.Standard.(translation/edition)? being held in "work"?

Yes, I would agree with this.  What about ref scheme?

> (After all, the chances of someone finding the incorrect reference when
> someone calls out: John 5:39 are fairly small, no matter what
> "translation/edition" they are using. I think we may be trying to solve
> the odd case (primarily the Psalms but a few other places) elegantly
> when there may be no elegant solution. I suggest "Let'em  map" and be
> done with it. ;-) (Troy, you should appreciate the citation.)

Yes, I very much like it when Jesus slams the self-righteous Pharasees
and experts in the Law, with the Law Itself, for missing the entire
point of His coming!  Nice ref!

	-Troy.