[osis-core] Question and suggestion - RE: Draft of steps for creating a printed version of Luke

Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:25:51 -0700

I gave myself a challenge Friday to see what sort of PDF I could
generated using FO (formatting objects), existing style sheets and OSIS
1.1.1 documents in an hour's time.  I was able to get a basic PDF
created without all of the bells and whistles like footnotes, the
copyright page, etc...

I have one suggestion and one scope question as a result of the effort.

SUGGESTION:  (Based on Thursday's conference call, there was consensus
that the target was PDF and that FO was the appropriate way to get there
from an OSIS 1.1.1 encoded document.)  I would like to suggest that we
manually create "proof" FO files that render to PDF the required
formatting before writing an XSL style sheet to generate FO from an OSIS
1.1.1 document.  Any problems in generating the PDF required will almost
certainly be due to a limitation in what can be expressed in FO and NOT
in an XSL style sheet's ability to generate the FO.  Also the approach
to the style sheet might be different based on any "tricks" that have to
be employed to get FO to do what we need it to do.

SCOPE QUESTION:  Is the objective to write a style sheet that will work
with any OSIS 1.1.1 encoded document, an OSIS 1.1.1 encoded document
that conforms to a set of encoding practices, OR just the encoding
developed for this effort?  (I don't think the first is possible.
Examples of "encoding practices" would be (a) only splitting <q>, <p>,
and <verse> and ignoring all milestoneStart/End pairs other than those
for verse and quotes, (b) putting the text to present for verse numbers
in the "n" attribute when osisID is a list, AND (c) using value(s) for
the "type" attribute of <div> and <p> elements that contain text other
than the Bible like introductions and teaching commentary.)

Thoughts?

Todd