[osis-core] osisCore_Candidate.1.1_006 - 9 - consitency and readibility or "text" related elements grouped into an elementGroup

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 17:13:34 -0400

>In studying the elements that can be children of other elements two
>things have emereged.
>
>1) We are inconsistent in which elements we allow for encoding text.
>Some of this may be intentional and some is likely a function of the
>evolution of the schema.

It would be more helpful to know which content models appear to be
inconsistent (I am printing out yet another copy and will probably try
to build the chart again in the morning with the current version 007 as
a final sanity check.).

>2) If all of the elements that are always present when there is "text"
>were put into an elementGroup then it would be clear that those elements
>are present children simply because the element contains text.  The
>result would be that the other child elements would stand and that the
>set of "text" related elements would be consistent.  Further you would
>only get the eternally expanding child tree through this elementGroup
>and the "intended" use of the schema would be more clear.

Yes, except that the child tree for role for example, is much smaller
than than of div, for example. If there are common (or what should be
common sets, like actor, role and roleDesc which share a common model)
 that are/should be widespread enough to be a single group, that might
add some clarity.

I think some of the looseness is inherent in the encoding of texts,
which tend to be fairly loose. The next time we meet, ask about the
"any" content model for the OED! ;-)

I will print out a copy and pay particular attention to the similar
content issue. Perhaps some documentation about ususal structures would
help?

Patrick