[osis-core] reference systems: Issue 1

Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:01:25 -0600

> > ISSUES:
> > 1) In the above examples I used Bible.French to imply that a
> > French reference system is in use.  I did not use FrenchBible
> > without a "." because I was trying to imply that they are
> > works from the same type (Bibles).  To me this means that
> > there must be a mapping between the Bible.French general
> > reference system and the Bible general reference system.  The
> > trouble I am having is that when I see
> > Bible.NIV.1993.en:Ps.45.3 I assume that I can "fall back" to
> > Bible and still use the Ps.45.3 without having to worry about
> > mapping.  However, Bible.French:Ps.44.3 is equivalent to
> > Bible:Ps.45.3.  In some cases we seem to mean that the
> > identifier to the right of the ":" could be used with any
> > level of "granularity" of the identifier to the left of the
> > ":".  (When we say Bible.NIV.1993.en:Ps.45.3 we could fall
> > back to Bible.NIV:Ps.45.3 or Bible:Ps.45.3 or
Bible.NIV.1993:Ps.45.3.)

> > It also seems that Bible.NIV.1993.en:Ps.45.3 and
> > Bible.NIV.1993.fr:Ps.45.3 could both fall back to
> > Bible.NIV.1993:45.3 and mean the same thing.
> >
> > This seems like the biggest problem that is not yet solved
> > with this strategy.
> >
> > Summary of problem: We don't know when we can fall back based
> > on the "namespace" identifier and still use the identifier to
> > the left of the ":" and when mapping is required because we
> > have moved between reference systems.
> >
> > The only way I see to solve this problem is to define that
> > the identifier to the left of the ":" is valid WITHOUT
> > mapping for all "fall back" levels for the "namespace".  AND
> > force a DIFFERENT top level identifier for cases where such
> > fall back is not possible.  This would force to editions
> > (even in the same language) that have different reference
> > systems to have a different top level "namespace" identifier.
> > Bible.NIV.1993.en:Ps.45.3 and BibleFrench.NIV.1993.en:Ps.44.3
> > would be references two different editions  of the same
> > translation that differ only by the reference system.
> >
> > Solutions?
>
> Let's see if I can restate the problem. I have defined myNIV to
> refer to Bible.NIV.1993.en.  Now I want to use references like
> myNIV:Ps.45.3.  That seems well-defined; they are really references
> to Bible.NIV.1993.en.  I don't see where fallback would occur.
>
> Let's suppose I want to refer to that version with the Bible:
> reference system.  I would define
>
> <work workID="LSV">
>   <identifier type="OSIS">Bible.French</identifier>
>   <refSystem>Bible</refSystem>
> </work>
>
> LSV:Ps.44.3
>
> Still no problem.  Since "Bible.French" starts with "Bible", it is
> required that a transformation between Bible.French and Bible will
> exist.
>
> I guess I don't see the problem?
>
> -Harry

In some cases the identifiers separated by "." only specify a more
specific work and in other cases a transformation is required.

In the case of Bible.NIV.1993.en:Ps.45.3 I can simply drop
".NIV.1993.en" and use "Ps.45.3" as Bible.Ps.45.3 or drop ".1993.en" and
use "Ps.45.3" as Bible.NIV:Ps.45.3 without translation, BUT with
Bible.French.LSV:Ps.45.3 there is a transformation required at by
French.  Do we want to create namespaces that require transformation of
"fall back"?  If we do how can we indicate that a transformation is
required.

Possible solution: use upper case letters to identify that an identifier
requires a transformation.

Example:
Bible.niv.en:Ps.45.3 does not require a transformation when falling back
to Bible.

Bible.French.lsv:Ps.43.3 does require a transformation when falling back
to Bible:Ps.44.3 but does not require a transformation when falling back
to Bible.French:45.3!

There is a problem when using numbers because they have not case.  We
could force identifiers in the "namespace" to start with case oriented
identifier and/or we could reserve a transformation identifier.  (Ex:
Bible.niv.-1993.en)

Todd