[osis-core] osisCore_Candidate.1.1_006 - 3 - elements that should have a splitID attribute

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:36:08 -0400

ID is definitely needed on all elements.

lang is needed on all containers -- anything that may
have text in another language.

type is definitely needed on all elements -- it's the only
way of tying formatting or processing to an element.  E.g.

subtype is a good thing to have on all elements as well. It's
a generic second type element.  We're finding it very useful
in converting ThML to OSIS because we may have elments with
types and with formatting classes.  E.g. <attribution class="c1">
might be converted to <p type="c1" subtype="attribution"> or
some such.

In general, I don't mind having a set of global attributes
that apply to all or almost all elements. It makes the langauge
more regular and easier to deal with.  IF each element has a
different set of attributes, you can end up with zillions
of special cases in your processing code, and you will always
be looking up which elements can take an n attribute, or
a subtype, or whatever.

-Harry