[osis-core] Syntax Check

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:24:35 -0400

Steve DeRose wrote:

> At 12:39 AM -0600 08/26/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> >Patrick,
> >
> >This is a departure from what I understood regarding the
> structure for
> >a reference.
> >
> >We MUST ALWAYS have a REFERENCE SYSTEM and WORK is always OPTIONAL.
>
> that's the part I still don't get. If we don't have both a refsystem
> and a work,  at least by default, a reference is meaningless, right?
> Like what is "foo.1.1"?
>
> But given that, isn't it simply a question of which one(s) we allow
> people to leave to default?
>
> I think when average people write "KJV" or "Bible.KJV" or whatever,
> they will be thinking of the work, not the references system -- most
> people don't even know that there is more than one reference system.
> Thus, I think that if someone writes just "Bible.KJV:Matt.1.1" it
> behooves us to treat that as a work.

Agreed. The work is the primary thought-entity, not the reference
system.
The reference system need not be specified in 99% of the cases.
"Bible.KJV" can be treated as a generic work identifier.

> At one point we had the notion that works would be declared in the
> header, and that a work declaration could also specify the reference
> system(s) it supports. If we allowed works to simply specify their
> default reference system within their <work> declaration element,
> then specifying the work without a reference system anywhere else, is
> well-defined because you simply use that default.

That is essentially what I just proposed (though of course this message
was posted to the list earlier).

-Harry