[osis-core] Eureka with respect to reference syntax!

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 06:01:49 -0400

Todd,

I hope you stopped to grab your bathrobe after your "Eureka" experience.
They were a lot more casual about that sort of thing in ancient Greece.
Can get arrested now for running around nude in your own home. I guess
that is progress. ;-)

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

>I think the core problem we are having with references and the related
>syntax are the following:
>
>1) In most cases within most Bibles and most (if not all) references a
>single user EVERY encounters a SINGLE reference system for Bibles will
>exist.
>
>2) It seems burdensome to force users to understand AND to specify a
>reference system will almost certainly be constant for ALL users they
>ever encounter.

Errr, #2 depends on how we do it, see comments below.

>3) If a user were to have to specify a reference system they would most
>likely turn to a specific WORK to describe/define the reference system
>they operate under.
>
>4) There are only a hand full of Bible related reference systems (likely
>two, possibly three) that 99% of users will ever come in contact with.
>The remaining reference systems will be used by scholars.

Not sure I want to have separate reference systems for the "common folk"
and "scholars."

>5) A reference is ambiguous from an electronic perspective without
>specifying the reference system.
>
>6) Specifying a work to imply a reference system ties a reference that
>would otherwise be independent of a work to a specific work
>unnecessarily.
>
>7) Since only the reference system is acting in the ROLE of a namespace,
>it seems that we have possibly confused things by putting "work" on the
>LEFT side of the ":".

Don't know that I buy #7.

Even though I am using terms we have understood differently (up to this
point) consider the current system (which I think you suggested ;-):

refSys[work]:canonical@grain-canonical@grain

Now if for explaining this to users we say:

refSys = Work as a class of things, Bibles the use the KJV verses

work = Edition, as a particular one of the class of things we called
Work, such as the NIV

Then to refer to Matthew 1:1, generally, you write (with the default
system of Bible.KJV)

Matt.1.1

or to write in full:

Bible.KJV:Matt.1.1

or to cite a particular translation, shorthand format:

[Bible.NIV]:Matt.1.1 (although I would like to see: [NIV]:Matt.1.1

That ties your reference system (general) into something they
understand, along with the notion of an edition, which I also suspect
they will understand.

May need the ability to default the refSys (as we call it) and the
edition so they can use the shorthand method throughout.

> [...]
>Bible.OSIS:Matt.1.1 is necessary when "confessions.augustine" is the
>default reference system (aka namespace).
>
>B) A reference without a work is meaning full on its own.  If we were to
>be having a conversation and I were to mention "Matt.1.1", given the
>context of our location we would both assume the reference system that
>is predominant in the United States.  The reference I make to Matt.1.1
>has no tie to any one specific work and I can use the reference to
>identify a passage in a number of works.  If I had wanted to
>specifically mention a specific version I would have said some thing
>like "I found it interesting how Matt.1.1 reads in the Phillips".
>
>C) Since we are talking about electronically encoding references we must
>provide a mechanism to make clear the reference system that would
>otherwise be obvious in causal conversation.  Since electronic documents
>and references do not carry a context such a context must be specified
>to make the ambiguous clear.
>

>PROPOSAL:
>1) Define a reference system Bible.OSIS.
>
>2) Make Bible.OSIS the default reference systems if no other reference
>system is stated as the default.  (This makes things easier for the
>people who don't know that an OSIS document could be used to encode
>works other than the Bible, but is not necessary for the remainder of
>the proposed points.)
>
>3) Use the identifier prior to the ":" EXCLUSIVELY for the reference
>system, and put the "work" if specified at the end of the reference.
>This way if the reference system is defaulted there will be no ":" in
>the normal XML fashon and there will be no confusion between the role of
>"work" and "refSystem".

>Regex form:
>refSystem:canonical@grain-canonical@grain[work]
>
>EXAMPLES:(default refererence system being Bible.OSIS)
>Matt.1.1 equals Bible.OSIS:Matt.1.1
>Matt.1.1[Bible.Phillips] equals Bible.OSIS:Matt.1.1[Bible.Phillips]
>
>Examples: (default reference system being confessions.augustine) (my
>apologies for my lack of knowledge of confessions.augustine)
>Bible.OSIS:Matt.1.1
>Bible.OSIS:Matt.1.1[Bible.Phillips]
>x.1 equals confessions.augustine:x.1
>x.1[confessions.augustine.XWork] equals
>confessions.augustine:x.1[confissions.augustine.XWork]
>

>If we don't want to default the reference system and give a bias to a
>particular reference system as well as a preference to an individual
>reference system targeted as a particular class of works, we can
>"subclass" the core schema and specify a default reference system in the
>derived schema.  This affords the same convenience to all users and does
>not favor those with more influence over the schema creation.  (We could
>also create a default in the core schema and provide derived schema for
>the other cases.)
>

>QUESTIONS:
>Is this the proposed regex a better solution and do you think we should

Do not think we should adopt it, primarily because the notion of putting
the work on the end of the expression will seem unnatural to most users.
I know it makes no difference to our machines but for the most part I
expect a lot of bible texts to be entered by hand.

>Do we want to default the reference system?

I think we may want to default refSys (what I want to explain to users
as Work, being a class of texts) and edition (which is a particular
member of the class of things in Work)