[osis-core] New Schema!

Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:09:48 -0600

Troy,

> > Would there be a problem with using <p> rather than <div> to contain
the
> > "loose" text and milestones when encoding the cases you described?
(In
> > this case <p> acting as a "leaf div" and not really taking on the
> > meaning of <p>.  Another alternative being an element identical to
> > that you could use instead of <div> and not have to overload the
meaning
> > of <p>.)
>
> I don't like the idea of using <p> when, in fact it is not marking a
> paragraph.  As far as using an alternative tag, I still don't see the
> benefits of forcing all text under, say, a <div osisID="Matt.1">Text
for
> Matthew chapter 1</div> to be under yet another child.

I also don't like the idea of using an element for a purpose other than
the purpose that its name intends.  That is why I suggested introducing
a different named element.  (Of course the other element is only
necessary if you buy the rest of the argument.)

I am trying to separate the behavior of "nesting container that contain
other containers" from the behavior of "nitty gritty text container".

Other than <div> no other element can nest within itself endlessly.  We
another <verse> or <p>.  As it is we are assured that the "nitty gritty"
text will only occur in leaf level containers and not in containers that
contain other containers (exception being leaf level elements that
contain <verse>).

I think that <div> should be a simple container that contains other
elements that contain the nitty gritty text AND should not exist at the
lowest level.  I don't have a problem with having an entire chapter
contained by a single element.  I just think that we should reserve the
meaning of <div>.  So in your example we might have the following:
	<newElementNotDiv osisID="Matt.1">text of Matt.1 with milestones
and no elements like p, verse, etc... if desired
	</newElementNotDiv>

Knowing that <div> only plays a single role simplifies the set of
options users will have to account for when using an OSIS document.
They will be able to use <newElementNotDiv> in the same way that they
that acts in the same fashion as other "leaf level" containers will not
add any significant burden, but having an element that act like a leaf
level container at any level of the containment tree adds complexity.

I don't think you intend to use an individual <div> element as both a
container of other <div> elements as well as a direct container of text.
This is the case I am trying to eliminate.  If you do intend to use
Let me know if that is the case.

Have I made more sense this time around?

Todd
<snip>