[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:07:46 -0400

At 10:46 AM -0600 08/22/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>  >
>>  I am assuming that the osisWork value has no meaning outside this
>  > document. Is that correct?

We could either say that those values have to be provided by us, or
we could say that they're like namespaces, and the document header
declares the *prefix* used globally in the *document*, but the DC
record is (like a namespace URI -- indeed, we might define in terms
of a URI within the DC record for ease of use) what really identifies
the osisWork.

>  >
>>  I am assuming that in a string like lxx_en:Psalm.20, the lxx_en value
>>  has no meaning outside the document. It is just a reference to a
>>  <work osisWork="lxx_en"> element.

Me too.

>  >
>>  I could define Bible.KJV: in my document to be Augustine's
>>  confessions. Right?
>>
>>  -Harry
>
>I am assuming that REFERENCE SYSTEM value that precedes the ":" in a
>reference has global meaning.

How do we ensure that?

>As stated earlier we can implement an aliasing system if we needed it.
>I would rather put it off and use "fully formed" references and not put
>a burden on document uses to substitute the standard reference system
>for the aliased values.

What constitutes a 'fully formed' reference, then? Do we reserve to
OSIS the right and obligation to define all acceptable reference
systems? Imagine if W3C had done that for namespaces, rather than
using URI-space and letting people use prefixes (or rather than
putting whole URIs on the front of element type names!).

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net
Email: sderose@speakeasy.net
Backup email: sjd@stg.brown.edu