[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 10 reference to an entire work.

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 16:38:50 -0400

At 04:20 PM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>  > At 11:14 AM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:
>>  >Currenly we have a nice mechanism to point to a reference within a
>work
>>  >but not to an entire work or reference system.
>>  >
>>  ><reference osisRef="Bible.KJV(Bible.TEV)"/> is invalid.
>>
>>  That is kind of tacky, isn't it?
>
>With out this sort of syntax we have no way of optionally saying that I
>mean this reference identifier in this reference system in this
>translation.  This is a necessary behavior.  There have been alternate
>syntaxes thrown around over the past year but this seems to make the
>most sense.

Right. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that the fact that your
example is currently *invalid* is tacky -- not that the example is. I
think we *should* allow reference to the whole work, and I don't mind
the slight ugliness of the dangling colon below, etc.

>We did have the work follow the rest of the reference at one point.
>
>What about this seems tacky?  Do you have any alternate suggestions?
>
>Naturally an aliasing mechanism would make things look simpler, but I
>think that would just complicate things for now.

Agreed.