[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 9 Tricky point with default work and refSystem

Steve DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:45:23 -0400

At 11:52 AM -0600 08/21/02, Todd Tillinghast wrote:

>This is an interesting distinction between declaring that a reference
>system is the default and declaring that a document fully supports a
>reference system.  (Does fully support mean that all identifiers in the
>reference system OR that all identified elements are identified using
>the reference system where possible?)  Also it would seem that the
>default reference system need not be fully supported and that more than
>one reference system could be fully supported.  For this behavior it
>seems that we need add an "entirellyImplementedRefSystems" attribute
>that is a list or refSystem IDREFs to <osisText>.
>
>>    - use the occasional osisID from it

For example, a commentary may include translation of some parts,
identified using a 'normal' reference system (many authors may not
even know there are refsys differences). Also, what about something
like a NT+Psalms edition -- does it 'fully support' its reference
system if it only does so for the books it includes?

>>  It might be worth knowing that a document entirely implements
>>  a reference system. Would that be worth specifying?
>
>It might be worth specifying.  In the future the issues of mapping will
>be hashed out.  If a document does not implement any reference system
>then an external mapping to the document would have to be created for at
>least one reference system.  I would think that the external document
>would basically be a basically an XLink document that matches up
>XPointer expressions with identifiers from the reference system.  It
>might also be more meaningful (if possible) to specify the document that
>provides the mapping between a reference system and the document that
>does not implement a reference system.  I not sure how much of this
>information needs to be put in the <work> element and how much needs to
>just exist in the document being pointed to.

The cheap way to do this is to require that people include the
'normative' reference system we pick, regardless of what *else* they
may also include. But getting compliance on that seems unlikely.

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.stg.brown.edu/~sjd
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net