[osis-core] Questions about osisRefs

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:18:14 -0400

> >3.  I want to refer to Psalm.20 (KJV reference system) of the English
> >    LXX.
> >
> >    [same <work> entry as above]
> >
> >    <reference osisRef="lxx_en(Bible.KJV):Psalm.20">
> >
> I am not certain why the reference system should be in the attribute
> value. Changing your work declaration slightly:
>
> <work osisWork="lxx_en" refSystem="Bible.KJV">
> 	    <title>Septuagint</title>
> 	    <language>en</language>
> 	  </work>
>

> allows you to later say:
>
> <reference osisRef="lxx_en:Psalm.20"> without any loss of
> information,
> correct? Recall that while we may see this as different, that
> difference
> is only visual and not informational. I could parse the
> attribute string
> in your original example and by some rule deduce that the
> resource was
> using the KJV reference system or a system could process the
> reference
> to the information in <work> and discover the same thing. I think the
> later is easier to write, although harder for a person to resolve
> efficiently.
>
> Thoughts?

I like your approach much better.

I am assuming that the osisWork value has no meaning outside this
document. Is that correct?

I am assuming that in a string like lxx_en:Psalm.20, the lxx_en value
has no meaning outside the document. It is just a reference to a
<work osisWork="lxx_en"> element.

I could define Bible.KJV: in my document to be Augustine's
confessions. Right?

-Harry