[osis-core] osisCore_Candiate_1.1_003 - 9 Tricky point with default work and refSystem

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:11:37 -0400

I was thinking that a work is defined with a particular reference
system, but that one might want to access it via another compatible
reference system, i.e. one for which there is a translation.

So, my thought was that I might have a work work1 implementing a
reference system augustine_confessions.pusey and another edition, work2,
implementing a reference system augustine_confessions.smith.  I've got a
document defining a mapping between augustine_confessions.smith and
augustine_confessions.pusey.

Now, I want a passage from work2, but I want to ask for it in terms of
reference system augustine_confessions.pusey.  Thus, the software will
have to translate the reference into the augustine_confessions.smith
reference system first.

So, I would think that a work implements a single reference system, but
that it can be accessed via different systems. We need to be able to
declare a work identifier AND a reference system identifier, which may
be different -- we may have many different editions of agustine's
confessions that all use the augustine_confessions.pusey reference
system.

I don't see any reason why work identifiers should be hierarchical, such
as augustine_confessions.pusey.1882, if we're not trying to imply what
reference system the work uses.

-Harry