[osis-core] schema 1.1_003 bug

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:27:15 -0600

Patrick,

<snip>

> Comments on my earlier post about merging refSystem/refSystems with
> work/works?

I think that a reference system can be declared alone but a work MUST
ALWAYS declare a reference system for the purposes of creating
references and self-identifiers.

Since it is likely that many works declared in a single document will
share the same reference system and because the information that defines
a refence system is different in many cases than that of the work even
thought the data structures may be the same, it makes since to declare
separately reference systems and works and have works refer to their
reference system.

(The reference system might be declared by one party and the work is
from another.)

It also makes sense to allow a work to declare in a single attribute
that it is its own reference system.  If no such declaration is made
then it must refer to reference system declared in the same header.

Also, I am not sure that the structures for reference systems and works
are really the same.  Based on discussions dating back to January, it
seems that reference systems will likely "derive" from other reference
systems.  As a result it seems that the structures will differ here as
well as the fact that a work must state the reference system it is
using.  (Some of this was deferred until after this version, BUT by
merging the two concepts we will cause trouble for ourselves later on.)

There is a convience gained by putting these two beasts in the same pot
because of the cases where a single element plays both roles.
Example:
<refSystemsAndWorks>
	<refSystem name="Bible.KJV">...</refSystem>
	<work name="Bible.TEV" referenceSystem="Bible.KJV">...</work>
	<refSystem name="Bible.French">...</refSystem>
	<work name="Bible.Unusual" referenceSystem="SELF ">...</work>
	<work name="TomSawyer.TheAdventuresOfHuckFin"
referenceSystem="SELF">...</work>
</refSystemsAndWorks>

With the following reference would be valid.
Bible.KJV:Ps.55.11
Bible.Unusual:X.Y.133.2323
Bible.Unusual(Bible.Unusual):X.Y.133.2323
TomSawyer.TheAdventuresOfHuckFin:1.3.2

But
Bible.TEV:Ps.55.11 would not be valid unless the following line as
ADDED.

<refSystem name="Bible.TEV">...</refSystem>

We have not discussed for some time the use of a namespace alias
strategy (frNASB=Bible.French(Bible.NASB)) so that we could simply say
in an osisID frNASB:Ps.55.1 rather than the expanded form.

Earlier discussion included something like the following.

<refSystem name="Bible.French" alias="french">...</refSystem>
<work name="Bible.TEV" referenceSystem="Bible.KJV"
alias="tev">...</work>

Making tev:Ps.55.11 equavelent to Bible.KJV(Bible.TEV):Ps.55.11

<snip>

Conclusion:  I think we should leave the two structures disctinct and
that work is missing a refSystem attribute.  But if we want to put all
of the reference system elements and work elements under the same parent
that seems like a good idea espically if a work element can be both a
reference system as well as a work.

Possibly we should go back and reread the earlier discussion on this
same topic.  We tossed a bunch of stuff when we adopted the TEI form and
now it seems we are reintroducing some things we already worked on.

Todd