[osis-core] schema 1.1_003 bug

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:35:06 -0400

Harry,

Harry Plantinga wrote:

>>Comments on my earlier post about merging refSystem/refSystems with
>>work/works?
>>

>Well, I guess missed that question. I think that would make sense
>as long as there were some optional element in the <work> element
>to specify a reference system.  E.g.
>
><works>
>  <work osisWork="conf">
>    <refSystem>augustine_confessions.pusey</refSystem>
>  </work>
></works>

The question came up because the schema simply copied the structure of
work and works for refSystem and refSystems, the reasoning (such as it
was and this was during a conference) being that we needed the same
information for you to make a reference to a reference system as we do
work.

But, thinking about it after Chris pointed to the obvious duplication,
what is the added value of having separate bibliographic elements that
both point to an internal ID?

In other words, once you complete a <work> element, it has a osisWork
attribute. osisText has only one, but that does not mean that other
osisWork attributes, such as for osisRef cannot also be in the document.

Note that we did not reach the issue of how you declare a machine
processable (or otherwise processable) refsDecl, a la TEI. Not that the
refsDecl there is machine processable either, but that is another issue.

So, if we don't have a refsDecl, with the syntax to declare a machine or
otherwise processable syntax for references, doesn't an osisWork
attribute value fufill the same role? In other words, I am using it to
refer to augustine_confessions.pusey (as an osisWork value).

Ah, but if you want to explicitly declare a document's reference system,
perhaps you have some special linking or processing, hmmm, wouldn't that
be an attribute on osisText? Or do you need more indirection than that?

Would you ever want to change the default reference system?

I guess I am asking if a refSystem attribute on osisText would do what
you need or would more be required?

Certainly in 2.0, we need to do some machine processable refsDecl mechanism.

Patrick