[osis-core] work/works/headers and refSystems

Tue, 20 Aug 2002 04:23:18 -0400

Chris,

As promised, early morning musing on work/works/headers and refSystems!

work/works vs. refSystem/refSystems:

I think our reasoning here was that you might want to distinguish
between a work and a refSystem that was in use in an OSIS document.
Since the refSystem does not provide for a specification (something
Harry asked about some time ago) for documenting the reference system,
it probably does not (upon reflection) deserve a separate element. In
TEI land, the refsDecl provided a prose, read not machine processable,
description of the reference system in use.

My thinking at the time was that by dividing work from the reference
system would give us a place to put such declarations in the future.
(Can't speak for Steve, comments from Maryland?) Since it does not gain
us any information and generating the syntax for a machine processable
refSystem element is something we probably need to add for 2.0, I would
be willing to collapse work/refSystem, works/refSystems into work/works.
(Attribute momentary appearance to confusion on the part of one of the
editors.)

work/works:

Assuming the collapse of work/refSystem, I turn to the question of
work/works and meta-data in the header.

The problem we were trying to solve was the case where you have a simple
Bible but want to use osisRef to refer to other materials, which for
Harry's case, should have the sort of bibliographic information that we
record in the header. We also need a place to hold the metadata for the
document itself (the "ding an zich" for you phenomenology folks).

 From the standpoint of a container relationship I think Chris is
correct that the structure would make more sense if it was:

<header>

contains <works>

<works>

contains <work>

<work>

contains all the other header stuff

That gets you all the identification stuff in a single location (the
goal of <works>) and allow fairly full bibliographic information
(requirement of <work>).

By way of explanation, the <works> was optional so that in the simplest
case, you would not have to declare the collection of <works>. The
proposed solution would have a content model that requires <works>
minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1", and within <works>, <work> would be:
minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="unbounded". Adds only one element, the
container <works> and on the whole I think would be less confusing to users.

I can make the foregoing mods later today, assuming no one sees any
serious problems with them. The remote schema validation service said my
schema was valid last time with the bad regex so I will try to get to
installing a validation service on the Linux box. If I don't get to it,
I may have to send the schema to Todd to validate before posting. (When
I get the laptop back and have both OSs running, the Linux side is clean
and I will be setting it up entirely for XML work so that will be easier
than my general production box that has has various JDK's, etc. and
cleaning it up would be a major undertaking.)

Hope you are enjoying your studies at SIL!