[osis-core] Milestones by ID?

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 05:06:37 -0400

Guys,

I have not touched bases with Steve but hope to contact him later on
today (probably this evening).

Recall the recent discussion on milestones and my suggestion that rather
than another set of milestone element that we use the following syntax
(specified in prose, but allowed by the current content models):

<q startID="myStartID" other attributes />

<q startIDRef="pointsToStartID" />

Note that ID/IDREF gets us trivial validation of the milestones.

Other attributes could include an osisID since osisID will not be type =
ID but NMTOKENS. (restriction on element having more than one attribute
of type ID)

The only bug in this approach is that it will work only where the
content model for the element that contains the <q> for example, to also
contain all of the elements you would find in <q>.

the milestone option, <p> would not be available in that particular <q>.
Is this likely to cause confusion?

Still not entirely satisfied that this is proper syntax but have been
unable to derive a definite answer.

Since <q> is the nastiest case of where we might need such a mechanism,
limit it to use for <q>? Are others rare enougth to force use of regular
milestones or segmentation?