[osis-core] Reference Syntax Proposal - Suggestion

Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:42:21 -0600

If we were to add an attribute "splitID" that includes the extended
identifiers that are used in the standard (non-extended) form in the
"osisID" then it seems we would get the best of both worlds.
1) We have a mechanism to identify the parts of the logical verse.
2) We find an element by its stanadard identifier without having to test
for extension versions of the identifier.
3) We don't have the ambiguity issues created by extended references.
4) We can identify the order of the extended identifiers assuming that
the extension supports an implied ordering.
5) We don't have to assume that the document elements are in the order
that the reference system implies.
6) We can support multiple split verse identifiers (more than two) and
we COULD support splits in more than one reference system
simultaneously.

I encoded a real example (of the TEV) to illustrate my suggestion.
(I was not clear on how to encode some parts of <reference> and <note>
so they may be out of form.)
Note the splitID="Matt.1.6@a" and splitID="Matt.1.6@b" attributes.

I think that theses cases will be relatively infrequent that it makes
sense to make them be secondary attributes that are used when necessary.

		<title>The Ancestors of Jesus Christ</title>
		<reference type="crossreference"
ref="Luke.3.23-Luke.3.38"/>
ancestors of Jesus Christ, a descendant of David, who was a descendant
of Abraham.</verseEnd>
Matt.1.6" splitID="Matt.1.6@a">From Abraham to King David, the following
ancestors are listed: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Judah and his brothers;
then Perez and Zerah (their mother was Tamar), Hezron, Ram, Amminadab,
Nahshon, Salmon, Boaz (his mother was Rahab), Obed (his mother was
Ruth), Jesse, and King David.</verse>
Matt.1.10 Matt.1.11" splitID="Matt.1.6@b"/>From <note
type="crossreference" osisIDRef="Matt.1.6 Matt.1.7 Matt.1.8 Matt.1.9
Matt.1.10 Matt.1.11">
<reference type="crossreference" ref="_2Kgs.24.14"/>
<reference type="crossreference" ref="_2Kgs.24.15"/>
<reference type="crossreference" ref="_2Chr.36.10"/>
<reference type="crossreference" ref="Jer.27.20"/>
</note>David to the time when the people of Israel were taken into exile
in Babylon, the following ancestors are listed: David, Solomon (his
mother was the woman who had been Uriah's wife), Rehoboam, Abijah, Asa,
Jehoshaphat, Jehoram, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, Hezekiah, Manasseh, Amon,
Josiah, and Jehoiachin and his brothers.</verse>
Matt.1.15 Matt.1.16">From the time after the exile in Babylon to the
birth of Jesus, the following ancestors are listed: Jehoiachin,
Shealtiel, Zerubbabel, Abiud, Eliakim, Azor, Zadok, Achim, Eliud,
Eleazar, Matthan, Jacob, and Joseph, who married Mary, the mother of
Jesus, who was called the Messiah.</verse>
fourteen generations from Abraham to David, and fourteen from David to
the exile in Babylon, and fourteen from then to the birth of the
Messiah.</verse></p>

Thoughts?

Todd