[osis-core] Going beyond reference system for IDs?

Thu, 01 Aug 2002 09:11:23 -0400

Greetings,

I am trying to split up the replies to my post yesterday so we can focus
on separate issues.

This particular thread is on the topic of allowing IDs like Matt.1.1.a
(which is unknown in the reference system used by KJV for instance)

Todd suggests (below) that osisIDs should not be able to go beyond the
reference system of which they are a part.

Some sympathy for that view, after all that is what allows a user to
know what to point to in terms of constructing a reference to any
edition of the KJV from another text (bible, commentary, monograph or
article), which would be an osisRef but pointing to an osisID.

On the other hand, what does that leave for Todd's early case of
Matt.1.2-6a in the CEV? That is what the CEV really reports for a
container of text.

Note that I am also sympathetic that we should not have osisIDs that
look and smell like range operators (Steve's point).

Hmmm, someone may have already made this point better, but would it be
permissible to say that for the CEV, that Matt.1.2-6a is really not an
osisID at all but is in fact an osisRef? That gets us the range operator
and grain, although it is a pointer with a grain syntax that does not
occur in any standard Bible edition. Perhaps part of the problem is that
I did not clearly see what the CEV has as not osisID but osisRefs. In
that case, you could have:

the grain to make any sense?

Todd: does this help/hurt/indifferent?