[osis-core] Last changes! I Promise!

Scribe osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:12:02 -0700 (MST)

> >Can you explain what is meant TRW and TR?
> >
> TR is Textus Receptus (? Chris, correct my spelling ?)
>
> and TRW is Textus Receptus Westcott (a particular editon of the Textus
> Receptus)

Actually, you're probably correct, but I was just using it to preface my
unique id for each word in the Textus Receptus with something that might
give some kind of clue as to what it was.  TRW12345 was supposed to mean
Textus Receptus Word #12345; notice the next ID TRW12346.  No special
system to designate; just my way of turning a unique ID for the word into
something that might mean a little something to someone.

> >If there are multiple nameing systems that could be put in the same
> >attribute in <w> then we need a way to indicate which naming system we mean.
> >If TR is intended as a "naming system" the we should adopt a convention to
> >separate the nameing system from the "name".  Something like "TR:12345"
> >would seem natural but ":" is not allowed in xs:ID.  What you think about
> >using "TR..12345" in the same form as "Bible.KJV..John.1.1".  This would
> >give us "strong..1234" for strongs numbers or "strong.extended..9934".

Note the very important difference that strongs is a lemma, not a sync
number.  A strongs number will tell you the dictionary form of the greek
word from which the current, other language word or phrase was
translated.  It will not tell you from WHERE in the original text this
word came.  All occuranced of this word will use the SAME strongs number,
whereas the syncing mechanism will all have unique id's for each word,
even if they are the same word.