[osis-core] osis_0108.3 Making milestone OSISID and OSISIDREF match.

Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:21:32 -0500

I most cases verse milestone markers are for a single verse.

However, there are several cases (in the TEV anyway) where multiple
logical verses are grouped.  In this case there is a start of Matt.1.2
and an end of Matt.1.6a and a start of Matt.1.6b and an end of
Matt.1.11.  (Look the printed text to make it clearer.)  Patrick has
suggested in the past that this is purely a rendering issue.  I believe
that this could be the case in in Matt.1 where the verse markers are not
place within the lineage.  However, I don't think that it explains what
we see in Gen.20.  It seems to me that what is traditionally know as
Gen.20.17 and Gen.20.18 have been inseparably mixed by the translators
to make the text flow.  I have provided the NIV version of the same two
verses and the flow of ideas is reversed between the two cases.  (I'm
sure the Hebrew would be a better comparative text but I don't read
Hebrew.)

Bible.NIV  (Provided as a comparison of the ideas in the text and how
the NIV decided to break up the verses.)
<verseStart OSISID="Bible.NIV..Gen.20.17" />Then Abraham prayed to God,
and the God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could
have children again, <verseEnd
OSISIDREF="Bible.NIV..Gen.20.17/><verseStart
OSISID="Bible.NIV..Gen.20.18" />for the Lord had closed up every womb in
Abimelech's household because of Abraham's wife Sarah.<verseEnd
OSISIDREF="Bible.NIV..Gen.20.18/>

Bible.TEV

Option A: (This is not valid because Bible.TEV..Gen.20.18 is an xs:IDREF
with no matching xs:ID.)
<verseStart OSISID="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17" />Because of what had happened
to Sarah, Abraham's wife, the <divineName type="yhwh">LORD</divineName>
had made it impossible for any woman in Abimelech's palace to have
children. So Abraham prayed for Abimelech, and God healed him. He also
healed his wife and his slave women, so that they could have
children.<verseEnd OSISIDREF="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.18" />

Option B: (This works from the xs:ID and xs:IDREF perspective.  But this
creates a new identifier that is unique to the Bible.TEV reference
system, which will require a lookup to map to other references.  It also
means that an OSISIDREF to Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17 would be invalid if
place else where in the same document.)
<verseStart OSISID="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17-18" />Because of what had
happened to Sarah, Abraham's wife, the <divineName
type="yhwh">LORD</divineName> had made it impossible for any woman in
Abimelech's palace to have children. So Abraham prayed for Abimelech,
and God healed him. He also healed his wife and his slave women, so that
they could have children.<verseEnd OSISIDREF="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17-18"
/>

Option C: (This causes there to be two cases for how a <verseStart> and
<verseEnd> would behave, because in this case the OSISID of the
<verseEnd> holds vital information that would often be ignored if the
OSISID equals the OSISIDREF in a <verseEnd>. Note:There can be verses
that have not ID representing them in the text if the range of verses of
this type is greater than two.]
)
<verseStart OSISID="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17"
OSISIDREF="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.18"/>Because of what had happened to Sarah,
Abraham's wife, the <divineName type="yhwh">LORD</divineName> had made
it impossible for any woman in Abimelech's palace to have children. So
Abraham prayed for Abimelech, and God healed him. He also healed his
wife and his slave women, so that they could have children. <verseStart
OSISID="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.18" OSISIDREF="Bible.TEV..Gen.20.17"/>

QUESTION:  Is the current structure sufficient?  (I say yes.)
QUESTION:  Is option C is the "best practice" for this sort of case.

My vote is for Option C.  I know the standard as it sits allows for both
Option B and Option C, but I am trying to make sure we are comfortable
that this case can be encoded.

Todd